Yesterday I shared the story of Saint Patrick on my Facebook Page. Today I want to share with you this video we found on Thomas Edison. I’m loving these videos and feel so thankful for the people who put these together!
Here’s what works for us:
- I play the video straight through for the kids.
- Ask them to tell me what they remember.
- Then we play it again, stopping after each couple of facts to talk about it.
- Finally we play it straight through again.
- In the evening they tell daddy all about it, then we play the video for him too!
My kids learn very well from YouTube videos. I use to be very anti-screens, but I’m learning to use them more as a tool for teaching/learning.
I do not let my children have free reign over what to watch on YouTube, Netflix, or any sort of TV. Nope, not even my mellow, well-behaved, middle school girl. I set up playlists for the kids, or watch with them. They’re young and it’s my job to protect their minds from the craziness of the world. I find that even many Disney shows are modeling disrespect for our children. I’m NOT cool with that.
We go in spurts here, sometimes watching YouTube for a few days in a row, and then not watching anything for a week at a time. I love that it’s always there when we need it, and that it’s FREE!
Have you watched any good YouTube videos lately?
Leave a Reply