If you remember back to my posts in Dec. of 2010 I said I’m not much for New Years resolutions. I feel like we should always be trying to be better. I mean, why wait until a new year starts to make a change?
Well back in Dec. 2010 we did take that time to implement changes. My husband and I made some big changes that have been great for our family. Mostly our food choices.
Since being pregnant and having a baby in the house I’ve gotten a little more relaxed and have had to rely on some moderately-convenience type foods more often than I’d like to admit. We went from being a no pasta family to having pasta every couple of weeks- and guess what- nothing major happened, other than of course we were more tired than usual when we consumed it. But it did pull us through another day, even if it wasn’t nutritionally the best choice, and I just have to be okay with that. Over all I feel like we’re doing good when it comes to our food.
So for 2013 I want to focus on spaces. I fully believe that the spaces you are in have a huge impact on your overall well-being.
Our home was built in 2005. At the time Mr. Awesome & I were dating/got engaged, we only had the princess, no pets, and I was working. Now a little over 7 years later we’re married, I’m a SAHM to our 3 kiddos & we have a cat. Our space has had to change to accommodate our growing family. Not only that, we also have changed some of our hobbies, and what we do in our spaces.
In fact the room I’m typing in right now has been:
My bedroom (before we were married).
My home office while I sold Mary Kay & did eBay.
The Princess’s bedroom.
The Princess & Prince’s bedroom for a short time.
The Home school room.
& currently is Blackie’s (closet- since she doesn’t sleep in here, but does store her clothes here!) room/computer room.
Home improvement takes time & money. It seems like getting the two together is a challenge. I wish we could do it all at once and be done. & to be honest, if we took out a loan we could. But I do NOT want to still be paying on it when I change my mind and want to redo whatever we’ve just done.
So things will be slow going, that’s alright.
For 2013 I’d like to see:
- The Laundry room turned into a mudroom (But where on earth will you stick the laundry room you ask? Well, uh, actually…..I don’t know yet!).
- If it works, maybe pull out the big tub and put the laundry in the master bathroom.
- Build a swing set for the kids that flock here in the summer.
- Put blinds on the windows.
- Make a backyard patio/seating area.
- Fix the kitchen faucet that has leaked for y.e.a.r.s!
- Install shelving in the basement bedroom closets.
- Paint the stairs leading to the basement.
- Move the TV downstairs. This means rearranging the living room. I’m terrified of picking new furniture for that space. Furniture is expensive, and what if: It doesn’t look good, I don’t like it, or it isn’t as comfortable as our broken-in sectional?
- Install new flooring in the dining room/living room. It looks just awful, awful awful! Next time we will pick a better quality floor and something that can stand up to a lot of traffic.
- Fix up a room for Baby.
- Decorate the big kids’ rooms.
There are probably more things I will think of here and there. And maybe none of these things will happen, maybe some of them will. If they do, I’ll try to blog about it.
My favorite DIY project of 2012 was when we painted our shutters & then did my FIL’s shutters. What a transformation! I wish I would’ve blogged it! Maybe I will some day, I did take pictures fully intending to post it here.
So what will your 2013 look like?