Grandparents Day is this weekend! Wait, you didn’t know Grandparents day was a thing? That’s okay, here are some gift ideas to get you started, and finished, before the big day rolls around!
If you or your children are blessed enough to have living grandparents or people in your life who are like grandparents, then I really hope you will be celebrating! #CelebrateAbsolutelyEverything
My grandparents have all gone on to be with Jesus, but I still take time to honor their memory, think of them, and imagine what life would be like now with their presence. Oh how I wish my husband could’ve met them all, and I long for my children to someday hear the stories my Grandpa Link would share with my brothers, cousins, and I. He was absolutely the best storyteller in a 5,000-mile radius, maybe even more!
My children are lucky to have two grandpas (maternal and paternal), a granny (my mom), and two grandmas whom our family has sort of “adopted”.
There is so much to learn from all generations, and I love seeing the dynamics of the relationships my children have with each of these special people.
Now, I am definitely not one to advocate for more “stuff” and materialism, but I do think there are some gifts that can be fun, AND practical.
- Food! We all eat, so how about delivering a batch of cookies, a jar of soup, or baggies of pre-diced frozen veggies to cook with later? Okay, that last one may not be for everyone, but I really love dicing veggies and I know my parents appreciate having a little less prep work to do at mealtime.
- Send a card and a picture! Did you know if you have Amazon Prime you can send printed pictures through the Amazon Photos app? The prices are super reasonable. Occasionally I send 4x6s to Grandma June for just $0.13.
- A Coffee Cup A good coffee cup makes all the difference, am I right? You could make a personalized photo mug using a service like Shutterfly, or order a cute and thoughtful mug off of Amazon.
- Quality Time Together. If you’re able, just spending time together to play a game of cards, or sitting outside to watch birds and enjoy a breeze and sunshine can be precious. I think I may order this giant Uno for our family.
- Video Call! If you aren’t able to get together in person, definitely consider video calling to say HELLO and show your face. This can be done through a variety of services, but a couple of apps that the majority of people use would be Facebook Messenger or Zoom.
- Real Life Grandparent Suggestions: I happened to be talking to my parents via video chat while writing this post, so I asked for their suggestions. My dad immediately suggested a trip to Tahiti. Hey, if you can swing it, that would make a grand gift! Ha! My mom, who tends to give more practical advice suggested a handprint keepsake or having grandchildren write a story based on their favorite thing about their grandparents. Great suggestions!
- Interest-based gifts are wonderful as well. A golfer could always use more golf balls, a foodie may like new Instant Pot accessories, a carpenter may like a new tool, or a Netflix junkie may appreciate a cozy new blanket to snuggle up with. When in doubt, check Wal-Mart, they really carry a little bit of everything! I have my eye on a new Pioneer Woman Instant Pot.
Here are some of my favorite grandparent inspired coffee mugs from Amazon I have purchased some of these and appreciated the quality and performance:
Leave a Reply