This messy counter is the first thing I see each morning, and the last thing I see before I go to bed. I Kon Mari’d the crap out of my make up last year and purged A TON. Like you have no idea how many little containers I gave and tossed (unless you follow me on Instagram, then you know exactly what I’m talking about). It was embarrassing, folks.
I love makeup, always have, always will. So while I like to keep a variety of shades of eye-shadow, I also like to keep my stash pretty simple, because it can quickly get out of control.
The tops of my containers were getting dirty, and I was taking up more and more of the vanity, and not keeping everything on my side. Only occasionally would Mr. Awesome ever say anything about the mess, but it’s been bothering me more than anything.
I’m not sure why I put this off so long, because it honestly just took me about 10 minutes to fix, including having to remove a child lock from my drawer to get this new organizer to fit.
Here’s what I did:
- I ordered an expandable drawer organizer that looked like it had a lip that would fit on the edge of my vanity drawer, and thankfully it did!
- I forgot about it for two days, meaning to get a handle on it before the organizer came. Then BAM this afternoon the kids got the mail and it was here! Alright, let’s do this!
- I then tossed anything that I didn’t need/want or were about out (this resulted in only tossing 1 eyeliner).
- I wiped down the outsides of all of my makeup containers with a damp cloth. It’s amazing how much gunk can collect on the outside of containers that are hardly handled. It’s also amazing how this little step can make such a big difference!
- I miss measured, so I had to install the organizer front to back, rather than side to side in the drawer. that’s why I had to remove a child lock to get it to fit, and rearrange a bit in the drawer so I could still get to my toothbrush easily.
Side note: If you’re looking for a good natural toothpaste, we LOVE Earthpaste. I bought it after a friend suggested it a couple years ago and it’s all we use now (the kids too). The tubes are larger, and the price is totally worth it to not be filling your body with toxins, and it actually tastes good! I love the wintergreen and cinnamon (cannot stand the lemon, because it reminds me of a cleaning product, thankfully the kids don’t mind it).
- Once installed, I transferred my makeup in to the organizer.
- I wiped down the counter, and called it good.
That’s it, DONE!
It was such a quick and easy little project. Just my style!
Second Side Note: I keep a dry erase marker on the counter so I can write appointment reminders and love notes/encouragement on the mirror for Mr. Awesome. I also keep a digital timer there so the kids can time their showers (and occasionally I time mine too). I can’t imagine what the water bill would look like if we didn’t do this in our large family!
Do you have any bathroom organization tips to share? If so, put them in the comments below.
Leave a Reply