Local: Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Schedule a Date Night at The Paddler’s Tap in Forest City, IA
- You can hang out for hours and never feel rushed to give up your table. The crew at The Paddler’s Tap have curated a cozy, yet spacious, environment complete with a shelf of board games to use while you’re there. Some tables are large and work well for bigger crowds, some are smaller, there are a couple of little nooks where you can hang out if you’re looking for a more intimate space. Hey, you can even belly up to the bar if you’d like! Do people still say “belly up to the bar?” If not, they maybe should. Being able to go on a date in a place where you can just “be” for a while is so vital towards having those real uninterrupted conversations that matter.
- It’s inexpensive. Whether or not you’re a beer drinker, The Paddler’s Tap is affordable for all couples. You could pop in and get a soda (see what I did there?) for just $1 each, say you each have two, you’re still in and out of there for under $5. Now, I hope you’ll give the beer a try, because I adore a good beer and I think you could learn to also, if you don’t already. Plus, I have a strong feeling beer that is better for you than soda (a debate for another day). Say you and your love each have a beer ($4 each), you’ll spend less than $10 and get a whole lot of time together while you’re sipping away.
Don’t get me wrong, I love going out for a good $50+ meal complete with dessert and drinks. We did it ALL.THE.TIME when we were first dating, but at the end of the month when I look over our budget and track our past spending, I don’t love seeing overpriced meals and thinking of the cold leftovers full of carbs that we brought home in cheap Styrofoam containers only to throw away a different day.
- The popcorn is always on at The Tap. You know we have a popcorn machine at our house because I’m a go-big-or-go-home kinda gal, but I would bet most of you don’t. Popcorn is just a fun snack, and it’s free up at Paddler’s! Grab a beer, some popcorn, and a table. You’re all set!
- This next one is a huge deal to me. Like seriously, I didn’t even think it mattered when they first opened, but for how flexible it allows us to be, and how much it saves our budget, it’s a big deal now. YOU CAN BRING IN YOUR OWN FOOD. What does this mean? This means you take in your favorite homemade chicken & rice leftovers to munch on, pop by the gas station for a slice of pizza on the way, grab Subway or Ay Jalisco from down the street, or bring in some ice cream from Scoopy Doos (beer + ice cream? Hmmmm, maybe). The point is, your options are limitless. Maybe you want to text a bunch of friends to join you and bring in a sheet cake from Bill’s Family Foods to celebrate something awesome in your life. You can do that! On our last date night, we grabbed some Subway because I had a huge craving for it.
- It’s Local. I’ll be the first to admit I’m the type that likes grand gestures, big trips, and all the Instagram worthy moments. I mean, Mr. Awesome did propose to me on stage in front of thousands of people, because he knew that was my style… Admitting that doesn’t feel as bad as I thought it would. We have to own who we are, right? Just staying in town for a date night though is so simple and easy. It’s pure joy! Knowing the money we’re spending that evening is being poured back into our local economy is an excellent feeling (every dollar adds up, folks). The fact that we don’t have to be gone for half the day (traveling to our destination, enjoy it and travel back home) is a win. To me, the more time with my whole tribe, the better. Visiting our local establishments that only require a 10-minute commute gives me more time.
Not mentioned, but definitely worth mentioning- The people are absolutely amazing. The owners are the sweetest people with hearts for Jesus and this community. The customers are always smiling as they look towards the door to see who is coming in. It’s just a great place that was well planned out, is being well operated, and is thoroughly enjoyed by so many within North Iowa and Southern Minnesota.
If you’re local, I hope you’ll give The Paddler’s Tap a try for your date night!
Ps. They have a great “What’s on Tap” Live video released each Thursday. You’ve gotta head on over to their Facebook page to check it out!